Step 6 – Create a Gorgeous Photography Website with SmugMug in 90 Minutes
So, did you complete Step 5 and create your portfolio gallery?
If you answered “No” – please head back to Step 5 before moving to Step 6.
If you answered “Yes” – Congrats! You're making progress and you're well on your way to a fantastic new website.
If your answer is “What is this crazy guy talking about?” – then you might want to check out this tutorial intro page.
OK. Let's move on.
In Step 6 I'll show you how to create a really nice looking slideshow on your homepage.
- Watch the Step 6 video below (length: 4 minutes)
- Use Smugmug's Built-in Slideshow Creator and use your portfolio gallery to create your homepage slideshow
Well, Step 7, of course – where we'll create the special “Work With Me” page.
- Step 1: Sign-up with Smugmug and Upload Your First Gallery
- Step 2: Tweak Your Gallery Settings
- Step 3: Upload a Few More Client Galleries
- Step 4: Customize Your Website
- Step 5: Create Your Portfolio Gallery
- Step 6: Create Your Homepage Slideshow
- —> Step 7: Create Your “Work With Me” Page <—
- Step 8: Final Customization Teaks
- BONUS: Zen of Pricing Your Photos in SmugMug
Why Is This Awesome Tutorial Free?!
Awe shucks. Glad you like it.
This tutorial is free for a few reasons:
- It's what I would have wanted to watch when I first joined SmugMug back in 2005 and struggled for months to customize my site.
- I really enjoy making these kinds of tutorials and helping people out.
- I like promoting companies that I have found improve my life somehow – and SmugMug is one of them. SmugMug has helped my photography business in BIG WAYS that make their small fee seem laughable.
- I have an affiliate relationship with SmugMug where I make a small commission if someone signs up with them through my affiliate link. It's awesome because it allows me to offer this tutorial for free, give people access and exposure to an awesome service (SmugMug) and save them some cash by giving them a 20% discount. Win-Win-Win. The 14-day free trail means that ONLY people that love their new SmugMug site as much as I do will become paying customers. So there's no risk.
Feeling a Little Discouraged? (gasp!)
Maybe reading some comments from people who have completed the tutorial will help you continue on…
“Hi Ryan, I want to drop by and say thank you for your help. I followed your tutorials step by step to build my website. I’m not an expert, but it was easy to to understand. I just subscribe for a year and apply your 20% discount, thank you sooooo much! You’re my hero! ” – Anne
“Ryan, THANK you so much for this! You helped me out! So awesome to have someone do a tutorial like this!”- Alexis
“Thanks so much for these video tutorials! I jazzed up my smug mug site in one day, thanks to you! I’ve been wanting to fix it up for a while, but haven’t had the time to figure it out…somehow I came across your videos and I’m so HAPPY with what I’ve been able to do so far. I’ve got you saved under my favorites and I’ll be soaking up much more of the information you have to share…thanks!!” – Nicole Mills
Still Not Quite Sure What This Tutorial is All About?
Visit the main tutorial page which explains the what and the why's of this “how to create a gorgeous photography website” tutorial.